Saturday, August 3, 2013

Living Wild


I know it has been awhile since my last post.  I have been very busy out here in the WILDS OF ALASKA!! I have been outside every day for over a month.  Out here in Kodiak we have had an extraordinary July. It was hot and sunny every day for the last 4 weeks.  Usually I would be the last person to complain about the sun but darn it my garden was very difficult to keep watered.  I had a 55 gallon drum filled with water that I use for watering my fairly small garden plot that measures about 20feet long by 4 feet wide.  Usually it fills up when it rains.. well since it did not rain for about a month it got emptied.  Our cabin uses a rain catch system that fills off of the rain gutters of our quaint little cabin.  I had to start filling my watering buckets inside of the cabin and carrying them out to the garden.  I got it down to about 8 gallons of water a day to barely keep the plants watered. It was so hot and sunny that the dirt dried pretty fast.

We went subsistence Salmon fishing and put up some Sockeys, and caught a few Dolly Varden Trout.  That was a nice treat!  We have been busy in the meantime working on getting our firewood stash as well.  It is quite a feat to get wood from the beaches and put it in the skiff, then haul it to our cabin, cut it up, chop it then carry it up a tall ramp to the wood shed.  Needless to stay living out here keeps a girl busy!

I hope your summer is going well and am looking forward to hearing any questions you may have about living off of the grid, planning a move to Alaska, or your dream vacation, I have a lot of information I can share with you.  Please feel free to find me on Facebook or email me with your comments or questions!  Go to my Website... http://www.alaskawildadventures.tv, and check out my You Tube channel!

Take care from the WILDS OF ALASKA~

Alaska Woman
Jill Davis

Email jdlostcoast@gmail.com
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Alaskawildadventures
Website~ http://www.alaskawildadventures.tv
You Tube http://www.youtube.com/user/AlaskaWildAdventures

No comments:

Post a Comment